If you’ve spent some time scrolling on Instagram, you’ve probably come across posts about something interesting, where the caption says something along the lines of “More info available at Link in Bio.”
Instagram doesn’t allow businesses to add clickable links to feed posts. Link in Bio has been serving as a powerful alternative to help businesses drive traffic to their website.
This article takes a close look into what Link in Bio is, how it can help your brand, how you can effectively use Link in Bio on Instagram and other platforms, and much more. Let’s get started.
What does link in bio mean?
When someone says “Link in bio” in an Instagram post, they are usually referring to an URL they’ve added at the end of their profile description. Link in Bio is a call to action to the customer, inviting them to check the external website they created or the brand has crafted for various purposes.
When it comes to adding links to posts, Instagram and TikTok have policies that prohibit users from adding links to their posts, as they can lead the users away from the app. They can add the links as the text, sure, but they won’t be clickable: users would have to go to the browser and manually type the URL.
Link in Bio is the workaround against this that has gained popularity during the last couple of years, as it allows Instagram users to direct their audience to the targeted website with only one click. Since every user can add only one link to their profile, many users often change the link, promoting the most recent product. Others add a link in bio that contains other links, assembling several pieces of information under one link, as in the example below.
How to put a link in Instagram bio
If you are thinking of trying Link in bio for your Instagram account, you can do this easily. Instagram allows everyone to add a link in bio, be it a big brand with millions of followers, or an independent user with a private account. With this said, however, the platform monitors added links, so make sure you don’t go with links that look spammy and suspicious.
Here’s how you can add a link in bio to Instagram in five steps.
- Head to Instagram, and tap on your profile picture in the bottom-right corner.
- From your profile, click “Edit profile” to head to profile settings.
- On this page, you can change your username, description, and profile picture. You can also add a link to your bio through “Add link”.
- In the next section, you have two options. If you want to connect your Instagram account to your facebook page, go with the “Add Facebook Link”. To connect to another website, select “Add External Link”.
- In the last step, you’ll get two fields to fill in. Add the link you are targeting to the URL section. In the Title section, type how you want your link to be displayed, then save your changes.
Congratulations, you added your first Link in bio on Instagram!
How to put link in TikTok bio
Now, let’s take a look at how you can add a Link in bio in TikTok. In many ways, it’s similar to Instagram as it allows you to add a clickable link to your account. However, there is one difference: in the case of TikTok, a link in bio can only be added to business accounts. Once you set your account to business, you can add a link by following this step-by-step guide:
- In the TikTok app, select your profile icon on the bottom-right to head to your profile
- Tap on “Edit profile”
- There, go to the “Website” section
- Here, type in the URL of your website, and save the changes.
This is it, quick and simple. However, please note that on TikTok, you can add a link in bio only from the mobile app as the feature is not yet available on the desktop version.
How to Add a Link in Bio on Facebook
Facebook offers several ways in which you can share links to your profile, such as posting links to your stories or to your wall. Adding a link to your profile information, however, is a more “permanent” way of keeping a website accessible through your Facebook page. Here’s how you can do it.
- Head to your profile by clicking on your profile on the upper-right corner of Facebook homepage.
- From your profile, go to the “Edit” section in the right part under the cover photo.
- Scroll down and click “Edit your About info”.
- In the “Contact and Basic Info” section, you can add a website link and a social media link. Once you type in the links, save the changes.
The links you’ve added to your profile will appear under the “Info” heading on your profile page.
3 Link in bio tools worth using
As social media platforms introduced the option of adding links to profile, tools have emerged that help to do this more effectively. With these tools, you can create a custom landing page, where you can assemble multiple links that you want to share, thus keeping everything important accessible and in one place.
Here are a few of these tools that you can use.
If you are looking for an affordable link in bio solution, Linktree is a great option you can turn to. The platform offers robust features for the free plan, allowing you to add unlimited links, as well as customize them through icons and images. By switching to the Pro plan for $6/month, you can achieve further customization options, as well as remove the Linktree logo from your landing page.
Another great link in bio tool is the Milkshake App. Similar to Linktree, Milkshake App allows users to create an in-browser website in minutes, where they can connect all their offers. Unlike Linktree, however, Milkshake App offers a few more options on the type of content you can add to the website, and how you can customize them. You can choose cards, which are the “pages” of your website, and are broadcasted similar to a slideshow, add links, customize them, and arrange the content to your liking. All functionalities of the Milkshake App are free of charge. The app, however, offers an upgrade option for $2.99, which allows users to remove ads.
The last link in bio tool in our list is Feedlink, a powerful tool that allows users to create mobile-optimized landing pages in minutes. It’s great for assembling a clickable Instagram feed in one place and is well-loved by digital publications and magazines. Through Feedlink, you can add a unique link to each photo in your feed. You can also create simpler websites with a few links, similar to Milkshake or Linktree. Additionally, through Feedlink, you can check click stats for each link, and review your performance. Similar to Linktree, Feedlink offers both free and paid options. The paid version comes with additional customization and tracking features, and starts at $19/month.
How to Use your Instagram Bio Link?
Now that you know what a link in bio is and how you can add them to your social media pages, let’s take a look at why you should put all that effort, and how adding a link in bio can benefit your brand.
- Do affiliate marketing – If you are an independent creator doing affiliate marketing or are looking for other brands, link in bio is a great tool for promoting your branded links. Make your affiliate URLs accessible for your followers in one place, and have them up and active all the time, without having to repost them repeatedly.
- Promote deals and sales – Another way you can use link in bio is to promote the sales you are having. Direct users to pages where they can access the deals you are offering. If you are having several offers, you can group the deals by categories, and add a different link for each.
- Drive traffic to your website/Youtube channel – What’s important to understand about links in bio is that they attract a uniquely interested audience. While not all of your followers may be interested in your posts and offers all of the time, the people who click on your links, are the ones that are. So adding a link to your Instagram and TikTok bio is a tried and tested way to attract quality traffic and potential leads to your website.
Do Bio Links Drive Traffic?
As mentioned above, links in bios can help drive significant traffic to a website. In fact, a well-optimized and strategically-crafted link in bio is often the missing piece that can transform your Instagram account into a powerful traffic driver.
Having links in your profile makes it significantly easier for users to explore your business and your products by accessing them all in one place instead of having to scroll through social media accounts searching for something specific. This simplicity and focus are some of the main driving forces behind the success and effectiveness of link in bios.
Additionally, links in bios of Instagram and TikTok allow you to not only drive traffic but allow you to access important insights into that traffic as well. By analyzing this traffic, you can then optimize your links and the content you add there, which will further boost engagement and interest in your offers.
Link in bio examples
When using the link in bio tools discussed above, as well as many others, you get extensive customization options and can get almost as creative with your mini-websites as you want.
Below, we’ll take a look at some great link in bio examples for some inspiration.
- Below is an example of a link in a bio website created through Linktree. The landing page is simple, clean, and doesn’t contain anything unnecessary. It’s also customized using the color palette of the brand, matching the colors of the logo, and looking overall pleasant to the eye.
- This one is an example of what a Milkshake App website can look like. This link in bio website consists of several pages, each of which is concentrating on a specific topic. The opportunity to create several pages allows the creators to be more generous with the amount of content, without it being too overwhelming.
- The landing page below is an example of a more or less typical Feedlink link in a bio website. What’s interesting about this website is that although it contains multiple element types, it doesn’t look too overwhelming or confusing. The page is nicely customized, with all elements, including the buttons, profile picture, and icons being in the same color palette, as well as the soft color tones of the photos matching the overall tone of the website. This makes the website go easy on the eyes of the viewer, as well as easy to navigate.
With the right approach, adding a link in bio to your Instagram, TikTok, or other social media accounts can be a great way to attract quality leads to your website, and direct them toward taking the desired action. This article covered all the basics you need to get started with links in bio. Once you know what your marketing goals are, trying these tips and working with one of these tools can help you escape the limitations of Instagram and TikTok, and direct your followers where you want them to be.